[TenTec] Centurion in the new lineup

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj@hotmail.com
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 22:33:35 +0000

I don't have a sure answer for this, only hunches which seemed to be wrong.
My thinking was that the cost of remaking the Centurion might outway the
sales potential. Also, from a business point of view, it's priced not a
whole lot less than the Titan II now (about $800?  That sounds like a lot
but not when thinking about $3K).  I was thinking that since the company
seems to want to continue to make 100 w. exciters (I don't have a problem
with that BTW) they might eventually only make linears that can be easily
driven to 1500 w. by them.  I've been hearing lately about the supply of
1600bs drying up but not much about why it happened or when.  Is this a
recent thing?  I'm not sure any tube is a safe bet--I think most 3-500s are
made by some factory in China for RF Parts.  I would not assume they'll be
around forever given the instability of international political & economic
relations. For all I know, the factory owner might discover there's more $$
in making curling stones next week, and all of a sudden it's bye bye tubes;
hello granite, the 3-500 price goes up to $300 and everyone is scrounging
and detubing old broadcast transmitters.  I bought a couple of spares just
in case, but this is more of an amp topic so I'll wrap it by saying I'm glad
TT seems to be planning black boxes for the accessories.  I wish it weren't
so but I understand the business realities that dictate the need for a
non-distinctive product line.
73,

Rob
K5UJ