[TenTec] Jupiter Overheating

Brian Haren bharen@bellsouth.net
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 07:57:26 -0400

All,

Last night I was using my Jupiter in the Pegasus emulation mode.  Using
N4PY's most recent software version I had been doing some external tuner
testing (LDG AT-11MP) using the software's TUNE button for no more than a
total of 1 minute TX over a three minute period, then spent about 15 minutes
listening to some of the chatter on 20 meters.  At that point the radio
switched itself off.  Thinking my cat, sitting in the windowsill behind the
rig, had knocked something loose I checked all power connections.
Everything was fine.  Next I went to check the external fuse. Reaching
behind the rig to get at the fuse I momentarily touched the heat sink on the
radio.  OUCH!  The heat sink was 'extremely' hot, too hot to safely touch.
I let the rig cool for a few minutes and turned it back on.  It operated in
receive in Jupiter mode for about 5 minutes and shut down again.  The radio
is < 3 weeks old, has firmware v. 1.16 loaded, and had not been operated for
at least 6 days before this.

I know someone else on this site recently described a similar problem.  Was
there any resolution other than the 'send it back' option?  Thanks in
advance!

Brian
W8BYH