[TenTec] Rig Chart

Mike Hyder -N4NT- N4NT@chartertn.net
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 12:26:37 -0400

Hi, Steve--

Here ya go.  For years I used first a Heathkit HW-101 and then an
SB-102.  My friends kept urging me to get into the modern world, so
about a year after it came on the market, I bought a Yaesu FT-757.  It
was everything a ham could want -- a QSK rig with a CW filter and
built-in keyer. . .  But the keyer wouldn't go over 25 wpm and even at
that speed the dots were all choppy.  I used the rig with an external
keyer.

As time went on, I noticed that I was operating less.  One day when I
turned the rig off, I noticed that my body seemed to relax.
Investigation showed several things, first that the rig was not able to
hear weak signals on 10 meters (even with the RF pre-amp switched on)
that my SB-102 could hear.  The biggest thing I noticed was that on a CW
signal, there was a fuzziness -- a weak hashy noise -- modulating the CW
note.  With most rigs, as the signal gets stronger the noise diminishes
but not so with this noise, the stronger the signal the stronger the
noise.

Listening to that rig would make the muscles in my body begin to tense
until I would wind up with a headache.  I drop-kicked the rig out the
shack window and replaced it with a Triton 544 -- no more headaches, no
more choppy dits.

I know that since that time the manufacturers have gotten better with
the noise problem -- the "phase noise" perhaps.  But I question whether
they have gotten rid of it.  The thing to remember is that the human
ears and eyes are able to discern things that instruments often can not
measure and the human brain can discern things that we are not aware of.
The ARLL can run all the tests in the world comparing rigs but the only
true test is to sit two rigs side by side in the shack and use them.
After a while, I notice that I tend to use one rig much more than the
other.  I often don't know why and can't articulate a reason, but
something about the way the rig sounds or the ease of operation will
lead me to use it instead of the other.

73, Mike