[TenTec] ORION Update

Ken Bourne kbourne@earthlink.net
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:28:27 -0700

I had an interesting chat with Scott Robbins, W4PA, Ten-Tec's Amateur
Radio Product Manager, on Friday about the ORION.  Scott was gracious
with his time (in spite of a very heavy schedule), and enhanced my
already positive impression about Ten-Tec.

Scott answered many questions about the ORION, and I posted the new
information at http://www.qsl.net/w6hk/orion.htm.  (I hope I didn't
misunderstand anything!)  There is some exciting news about all-mode
squelch, separate audio outputs for each receiver, traditional and
"profile" (super) memories, optional internal antenna tuner,
dimensions, etc.  Other matters are still being considered, such as
the display (color vs mono), cabinet construction, etc., which I have
retained on the Wish List on the above Web site.  Portions of the
ORION are still under development, and Ten-Tec is paying close
attention to our "wants" wherever possible and practical.  I removed
some items from the Wish List, such as higher-than-100-W RF output
power and other items that simply will not be incorporated in the
ORION.

Regarding RF power, the ORION's output will be a ROBUST 100 watts,
100% duty cycle, into ANY SWR!  A higher output is not possible, due
to the 13.8 Vdc power supply and choice of output device for optimum
HF operation.  Regarding HF-only operation (no 6 meters), that
decision was based on the type of transmitter output stage for
optimum HF operation (a different output device would be more costly,
and would compromise the overall HF performance).  I suspect that
receiver specs would also have been compromised (and be made more
costly) by expanding operation to 6 meters.  External transverters
are the best route to take, and Scott indicated that the frequency
display would be configurable to show the actual transverter
operating frequency!

Scott made it obvious that Ten-Tec does not want to make compromises
in the ORION.  They want it to be the best amateur HF transceiver in
the world, regarding specifications, features, and appearance, at a
reasonable price.  I expect they will achieve that goal!  They have
been listening to our requirements (and to Scott's own requirements
as a champion contester), and have encouraged us to submit our ideas.
That's great marketing, and gives us the impression that the ORION is
OUR radio!  (By the way, I have no ties whatsoever to Ten-Tec.  I am
simply impressed with the way they do
business, and admittedly am obsessed with the ORION!)

If you spot any mistakes on the Web site, or if you wish to make
additions to the Wish List, please let
me know.  I'll keep it updated with any further information that I
receive.  Also, share your ideas on this
reflector, especially since Scott reads them.

Ken Bourne, W6HK
http://www.qsl.net/w6hk/orion.htm