[TenTec] Sidetone revisited

Steve Ellington n4lq@iglou.com
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:52:37 -0400

Ever since our discussion about sidetones, I've been wondering something
about them. A few years ago, I converted the "relaxation osc. sidetone in my
Omni C to the twin T osc. as used in the Omni V. Now, instead of a sawtooth
wave, I have a nice sounding sine wave.
Now here's the question:
A few years ago, someone told me that the reason TenTec used the relaxation
osc. was because it has the shortest startup time of all the designs.
Is this true?
Although I do not like the somewhat distorted sound the relaxation osc.
produces, I still want the quickest response from my sidetone as possible.
One fault, although minor, with my twin T osc. is a slight chirp from
sidetone when closing the key for the fist time after the rig is turned on.
I'm not sure what is causing that.
Steve Ellington N4LQ.