[TenTec] Heil mikes with Tentec

Arthur Bernstein n2ka@optonline.net
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:22:33 -0400

I've been using a Heil HM-10, dual element (HC-4/HC-5) with my OMNI VI
(opt.3) for some time now with no problems. It seems that after having
the opt. 3 mod done, there was a bit more gain in the OMNI VI (my
imagination???) Normally the Heil mikes have somewhat  less gain than
most other mikes. Bob Heil told me this. His solution was to open up the
mike gain and close talk the mike. In my situation, I run the mike gain
control at about 10:30-10:45 and the processor at about 12:00. I watch
the compression level on the meter and stay within limits.
I modified a boom/headset that works just fine with the OMNI VI. It was
an Azden HS-03 (that is no longer available in the U.S.) that had a
crummy dynamic element in it that had poor gain. Simply replaced it with
a cheap Radio Shack electret and wired it with the existing voltage at
the plug. It has plenty of gain and I've been told it sounds fine.
Thought someone would be interested.
73,
Art, N2KA..