[TenTec] cone Antenna PHOTO of how to wind them which band?

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:36:13 -0400

> It is somewhat unconventional to all of us used to single wire
> antennas. That is why it works better than the Isotron, the EH, or the
> other small antenna ideas that do not contain full resonant lengths of
> conductors.

Antennas radiation is directly tied to ampere-feet of linear
distance, nothing else. EM radiation occurs because of charge
acceleration, nothing else. 200 feet of wire in a ten-foot physical
length cone, spiral, box, square or anything else is a ten foot
antenna.

We often don't like that concept, and look for a 200 mpg carburetor
for our 5000 pound Cadillac's, but it isn't going to happen.

> The ten meter model uses four of these folded monopoles spirally
> around the cone.  This photo shows a ONE folded monopole for ease of
> understanding. Four gets you above 90 per cent efficiency.  One can be
> as good as 60 per cent. A small loop (MFJ) may be only 10 per cent
> efficient.  But with good propagation, 10 per cent can work a lot of

That isn't correct.

On ten meters the MFJ loop antenna **measures** almost 90% efficient
in actual FS measurements. It calculates to be over 90%, but of
course falls short of theoretical limits. It is far above 10% even on
30 meters, the worse band for the 10-30MHz model. Not bad for about
three feet of linear spatial distance to accelerate charges over.

If we pack any amount of wire we like into a five-foot box, we still
have a five-foot antenna. We can make it worse than an end-loaded
antenna with capacitance hats, but never make it better. No matter
what fancy shapes we use.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com