[TenTec] RE: [dx-list] One Day to Extra Class

Gary Smith mandolinist@interlync.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 13:34:09 -0500

FWIW,

My dad W1BML gave me the core knowledge I had to get involved in ham radio.

He was the principle EE at General Dynamics, Electric Boat division (subs) when he
retired, declining upward promotions to remain as a hands on E.E, his true love.
( From what others tell me (he'd never say so himself) he was considered the #1 EE
at the company when he retired 10 years ago).

He refused to take the extra exam out of principle as he got licensed in the early 30's
and was angry he was given advanced status instead of grandfathered when the
extra was instituted so he remains an advanced today.

He had a philosophy of electronics that purveyed everything he did. He said " if you
follow the course of one electron from beginning to end and understand how it gets
there, you can understand how to design and repair anything". He walked the walk.
To this day he can rattle off formulae for radio theory that makes my head spin even
though he hasn't used them in years and can hardly see to read anymore. Even
today when I call him & ask the answer for an electronics/radio question and he'll say
"get a pen & write this down" then give me the entire formula including calculus off
the top of his head, never missing a beat.

As to CW, he worked the radio op at Admiral Byrds Antarctic expedition on CW. He's
been doing CW for 65 years. CW at 40 wpm is well within his reach, I know for I sent
it to him on the keyboard & he copied all (OK, so I can too... just like many of us are
able to), the point is he's an exemplary amateur radio operator.

Now... I'm an extra; Got licensed in the summer of 79 & completed extra in about
one year (about the time of my undergrad education). I was in health care, not
electronics. I went to classes held at FARA (Fairfield Amateur Radio Association) in
CT & we learned theory till it came out our ears. I took the tests at the FCC office in
N.Y.C. & earned every license by hard work.

But between my Dad & I, I know one electron compared to his entire bandwidth when
it comes to what makes our hobby work. I'm the extra in the family, he's not.

What that tells me is Extra is highly over-rated by those who think it really shows
what someone can do & what they're 'supposed' to be. I got the extra because I am
a dyed in the wool CW op & wanted the extra frequencies for CW. I also got it
because I knew how to figure out the answers at the FCC office when asked and I
copied CW at the required speed.

Unless you have a gift from God & have a fantastic memory, you loose it if you
don't use it. Much of what I used to know I've forgotten over the last 20 years. I
remember the radio theory basics of course but many of the less interesting & for
me, rarely used technical details of electronics have become fuzzy & I need to read
the handbook, Orr's book or ask for help. Either works; asking the right questions of
the right people can help narrow the focus.

To me, what every extra should know is how to find the answer & then apply it when
required. I'm not sure how someone can upgrade to extra "in a day" but the upgrade
is academic if the goal is to become a cognizant radio operator/electronics
technician. All to often I suspect it's ego that drives us. Not all of us have the same
goal but we think others should be as we want them to be if they're going to be in our
pool. When that doesn't happen many take it personally, causing iritation & grousing.

My personal concern is that many people who have no interest in knowing anything
about the hobby except how to be heard on the air when they want to be get licensed
and they make crappy operators & become the original OM's "Rotten QRM".

Wouff Hong anyone?

As I see it; it's not the class of license one has or how quickly they get it that's the
issue, it's what you do with it or what you don't do with it that really matters.

Still, one day to Extra seems cheapening.

On topic, Can't wait to see the Orion. Hope the proto's at Dayton!

Dr. Gary (but not an E.E.)

KA1J