[TenTec] Balanced vs. unbalanced mic

Mark Erbaugh mark@microenh.com
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:21:44 -0400

I'm still considering remote (20+ feet) operation of my Pegasus. Based on
some previous replies on this forum, Canare Star Quad cable was recommended
for running mic level audio, so as to minimize interference being picked up
by the long cable run.  I've researched this and found that the reason for
Star Quad cable's noise immunity is that when used for balanced audio, the
noise pickup on each pair of  + and - leads tends to cancel, in much the
same way as how coax keeps the signal in and noise out.

I also discovered that with a balanced signal, similar results can be
obtained using ordinary CAT 5 network cable. I happen to have a lot of CAT 5
cable so that would be my preference.

However, I believe to get the noise immunity, I must somehow convert the
unbalanced mic output (TT 705) to balanced, run through the cable and then
unbalance it for input to the Pegasus. I did find a simple schematic for
feeding a balanced source into an unbalanced input. I wonder if there are
similar circuits for converting  the other way?

Any suggestions?

Thanks and 73,
Mark