[TenTec] Rx340 Close in dynamic range modification by N4PY

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:35:54 -0400

> There is more to a receiver than just close in dynamic range.  The
> filter shape factor of 1.2 is unmatched.  The "field day" factor of
> being able to use this receiver on the same band with another
> transmitter nearby on the same band but more than 10 khz away is the
> best I have ever seen.  The audio out of this radio is absolutely flat
> from 20 hertz to 15 khz.  The AGC is infinitely selectable and works
> perfectly.  I could go on and on.  I can't see how someone can knock a
> radio they never heard.

Hi Carl,
I simply made an observation that your -65dB IM3 measurements place
that receiver in the close-spaced IM3 performance range of rigs like
the FT101EE and unmodified Drake R4C receivers I have measured.

Some IM3 figures I have measured at 2KHz for comparison to -65dB:

Heathkit
SB-303 66dB

Ten Tec
Omni-V 74dB
Corsair  79dB

Drake
R4C with 600Hz roofing filter 86dB
late R4C with stock filter 62dB

Collins
75S1 63dB

Elecraft
K2 95dB

Anyone interested can find many receivers listed at
www.sherweng.com/table.html

The ARRL is also starting to publish close-spaced tests.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com