(Fwd) Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Bashing/eHam Reviews

WA3FIY wa3fiy@radioadv.com
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:06:47 -0400

On 30 Apr 2002 at 11:50, Paul Christensen wrote:

> I think it can be explained and measured.  I tend to spend more time
> operating my Pegasus than I do when using my other transceivers.
> The Peagsus' receive audio response is wider than most receivers.
> Lows are deep and rich, and the high end (depending on the DSP
> filter) is open and not pinched.  Clearly, the low frequency
> extension can be attributed to the use of DSP. In crystal-filtered
> radios the carrier set point is often tuned to the lower skirt of
> the crystal passband and set to approximately 100-200 Hz above the
> carrier point and low frequency content all but disappears. Even
> adding the INRAD 2.8 kHz filters to an Omni will do little to extend
> low frequency range. Another factor is the Pegasus' AGC.  It
> incorporates a very smooth AGC circuit and does not overload easily.

Good point Paul.  I'm pretty sure the Pegasus and Jupiter use
the phasing method of sideband generation and detection, in
software of course, and at least in theory, can go down to DC
response.  Another advantage of DSP!

-Lee-