[TenTec] Orion Specs

Jim Reid jimr.reid@verizon.net
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 09:14:28 -1000

Hi,

It's been  brought to my attention by another
that the Orion does not have such great
image frequency and  IF spurious rejection specs.
For probable reason, see on below.

All they say is better than 70 dB for each; same as the
Icom Pro.  Not sure what their "birdie"  spec means if
the images and spurs are no further down than a bit
more than 70 db.

The RX-340  is 90 dB typ,  and 80 dB suppressed guaranteed
for all mixers and all IF's on each of these rather important
rcvr characteristics.

IP 3rd order is listed as 25  dBm typ,  no guarantee.  On the 340,
the spec is 25 dBm guaranteed, and 30 dBm typ.

They seem to have omitted a CW sensitivity number,  probably
just an oversight in the excitement of the moment.

I will wait for user reports before making a buy decision,  as
rcvr performance is just very important to me.  I suspect the lack
of "guarantees" is a component tolerance issue/vs. production
costs of component selection and individual component
pre-testing before assembly.  If we want that,  step up and
pay for an RX-340, hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M