[TenTec] Ten Tec Junk ??!!

Larry Gibbs amishbuggy37@yahoo.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:27:10 -0700 (PDT)

You mentioned that the TT rigs looked like they were
in MFJ cabinets. Doesn't Ten-Tec still make cabinets
for MFJ?

Some years ago when Clegg was selling various brands
of ham equipment in Lancaster, PA, a ham friend and I
visited the facility where we were able to A/B test
rigs on the air. We had both just sold our Kenwood
rigs and were in the market for either an Icom 701, a
Drake TR-7 (both of us had previously owned the Drake
B-line and a TR-4), or a Ten-Tec Omni D.

We had thought some about the Omni, and wanted to give
the Drake a listen, but were somewhat predisposed
toward the Icom. The Icom was a neat little package.

Well, as you might suspect, the Omni blew the others
out of the picture. It was the receiver that mainly
did it for us. I mean, the other two weren't even
close. No subjectivity there! We rated the Icom last.

Of course, we both got the Omni and later added the
Series B upgrade. I had a Kenwood 830 after that, but
soon went to the Omni V. Then the Omni VI Plus and a
Scout as well.

I run Ten-Tec for quality, and I never complain about
the service either! I worked a DX station the other
evening, and my friend chimed in on two meters that he
could hardly hear him. He has a 756 Pro.

Enough said.

Larry, W3UIO