[TenTec] No 6M on the Orion (WTB: Ten-Tec 526 6N2)

Paul Christensen w9ac@arrl.net
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:01:53 -0400

That would be a good test and something that may be worth testing and measuring for all transceivers as part of the full ARRL lab
reports.

As a practical matter, I often tune my Pegasus for Hi-Fi SSB FFT spectral (SpectraPlus) testing using an open or dead short "dummy
load."  While the intent is not to measure IM products, I haven't heard or seen any detrimental effect while using an absurd load
like this.

 I have seen an incredible amount of collector current occur with Ten-Tec finals at full power under open/closed terminations and
(knock-on-wood) I have never replaced a Ten-Tec final component ever....across a half-dozen different products in more than ten
years.

So where is all this power being absorbed when the antenna port is open?  It's absorbed as DC power within the final amplifier.  The
RF component, never seeing a matched termination is completely reflected back into the P.A.  And, since the P.A. is a fixed 50-ohm
output, the reflected wave never has a chance to re-reflect as in the case of the situtation where a Pi Network or ATU follows the
final amp. This is why the final block gets SO hot when transmitting into an open circuit.  In this case, more than 100-watts of
power IS being dissipated...though little of it is RF and efficiency drops precipitously as a function of the degree of mismatch.

-Paul, W9AC