[TenTec] WGA or Heil for Scout

robert k stephens bstephens1@mindspring.com
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 12:23:22 -0400

Jerry

I misrepresented the sound of the 701 mic with my Scout. It's no more than
slightly bassy. However I've listened to myself and the mic  does not have
much upper mid range punch to it.(My Tram mic is a bit better). At S9 the
701 hand mic gives a nice pleasant ragchew sound but at S3 and below the
clarity of that easy pleasant sound gets lost in QRM & QRN and I get asked
for fills. It is not unusual for my signal to be just below the noise level
so a little extra upper mid range might improve the intelligibility.   I
also love to listen to nice AM like full range ssb audio so I'm thinking
the Heil goldline full range element would also be nice to have on the S9
plus days. I'd like to start with the HC 4 & HC5 dual mic and maybe add the
goldline element later . An audio equalizer would be fun but would not  fit
into the car ;-)

I'm assuming that this type of flexible mid range audio shaping would be
difficult to achieve by simple replacement of a  couple of capacitors.
However, I don't know . I'm leaning toward getting the Heil elements.

tnx & 73
Bob, KB1CIW