[TenTec] OMNI D 546 Series A mods?

winjones@ix.netcom.com winjones@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:39:29 -0700

There was a Omni-A, Series B made at the same time the Omni-D, Series B came
out. Ten-Tec, at the time, also offered a modification kit to make the
original Omni-A equivalent to an Omni-A, Series B. I think the kit changed the
function of one or two controls on the front panel. It didn't add extra bands.
I think the Omni-A came with a mixer crystal for the 30-meter band and it was
an easy conversion to add the transmit function on that band. There was also
an AUX position where 12 meters could be added. However, 18 meters was not
possible with the Omni-A, Series B because of the IF frequency, I think. When
the Series C Omnis came along, the analog Omni-A was no longer being
manufactured. The Omni-D, Series C had all the WARC bands.
I hope this helps. The model lettering on the Omni was very confusing.
73, Winston  K4CWQ