[TenTec] Jupiter firmware problems.

Duane Grotophorst n9dg@yahoo.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:34:17 -0700 (PDT)

I too agree that this would be an excellent way to
handle these kinds of firmware releases. Those of us
who aren't squeamish about alpha and beta code can go
ahead play, and the more conservative types can wait
until it is moved to a "released status" area. This
approach effectively satisfies everyone.

I have no doubt some basic smoke testing should have
caught the recent problems with the firmware version;
it is however very hard to test all “real world” user
activities in a lab environment. But on the other hand
having a small army of end users poking at it is very
effective way to achieve meaningful testing without
having a huge software QA department that a small
company can't really afford.

Also as Paul pointed out it should be made very clear
that the status of what you are downloading is clearly
defined. That will set the appropriate end user
expectation so that they can choose whether to load it
or not.

Duane
N9DG