[TenTec] Vertical Ant. Question / Suggestion

Bwana Bob wb2vuf@qsl.net
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:57:18 -0400

Gordon:

There are a number of decent verticals on the market, but they are only
as good as the radials or ground plane under them. However, you don't
really need 120 radials as some of the purists may say. The law of
diminishing returns kicks in at around 30 radials.

I recently replaced my G5RV antenna with 2 antennas: One is an 80 meter
1/4 wave inverted "L" which is about 16 feet high and runs 50 feet from
the house to a tree. The other is a vertical loop cut for 40 meters. The
bottom of the loop runs along my fence at about 8 feet high. Length to a
tree is again about 50 feet. It is fed with a short piece of 450 ohm
line to a 4:1 balun. With a tuner it performs well on all bands 40
meters and above.

Once the copper wire tarnishes it turns brown and is virtually
invisible. Not so with verticals unless you disguise or paint them.

				73,

				Bob WB2VUF