[TenTec] The 516 and tuners

Joe Malloy jmalloy@stny.rr.com
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 21:28:12 -0500

> I seem to recall some complaints by Jupiter owners that
> had the AT-11 tuner installed internally. Are you owners
> that bought a Jupiter with  the internal tuner happy with it?

Hi, Tim, I'm a Jupiter owner who subsequently bought the internal tuner and
on the whole I'm quite happy with it.  It doesn't make nearly the "racket"
that the LDG external tuner made and it matches pretty well.  I'm somewhat
spoiled when it comes to tuners, though, what with the Elecraft K2 I have
with a built in tuner -- they use latching relays (I think they store
information for 2 frequencies on each band!) and it's effortless to switch
bands.  With the Jupiter and the internal LDG tuner, though, you have to
tune each frequency/band each time you turn the radio on.  And it doesn't
have quite the range as the Elecraft does.  On my G5RV I can match at 2 to 1
or less on each band; with the Elecraft, though, I get pretty darn close to
1 to 1 all over the place.  Still, it doesn't seem to have much of an effect
on QSOs, so that's why I'm pretty durn happy with it.

Good luck!

73,

Joe, W2RBA