[TenTec] (TT) Tuner for Scout

Tom North tomnorth@airmail.net
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 12:24:03 -0600

Alan -

I used the 291 with the Scout for over a year (mostly portable) and would
look for another one for use with the radio; last I inquired they were no
longer being produced, and there was no stock. I wish I'd kept copies of the
docs, but my memory tells me it had a long wire connection, but not a built
in balun. This would be the only real 'minus' from my PoV.

Probably the best feature on this one is the Inductor, which useds a 'finger
stock' to approximate a roller. An inquiry to TT regarding tuning it 'hot'
was that this was acceptable at low levels of power (no exact description as
to exactly what that was, but I did not press it, either.) As the Scout
tunes at abt 10% the PA setting, 5W did not degrade mine in the that time I
owned and used it. I opened it just before selling, and there was no
evidence of any problems in the components. Worked as a VERY handy feature
for portable, which was what that station was to me.

After some testing with a regular meter, mostly to settle my own mind, I
used the bridge in the rig. It's primitive, minimal, and there is one less
component (or equivelant volume) to deal with in using it.

Hope this helps. 73'

Tom  N5OZQ

" . . .  need to get a tuner for my Scout for field operations. I noted the
TT-291
is listed as an accessory.
---Any comments on how well this works?
---Does it have a built in balun for balance feed lines?
---What is the range it will tune? (i.e. 5-600 ohms?)
---Is there a mod for a SWR indicator? . . . "