[TenTec] TRX power drain on Argo 516

Scanandoah, Alan ascanand@harris.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 08:35:33 -0500

Fantasy rig idea:

Something akin to the Argonaut 515, covering all bands from 160-10.  All-analog
design, but using current manufacturing technology.  It would be small and
diet-conscious.

Al, K2ZN

-----Original Message-----
From: n4lq@iglou.com [mailto:n4lq@iglou.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 7:23 AM
To: tlogan7@cox.net; tentec@contesting.com; risley@ipass.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TRX power drain on Argo 516

Perhaps the microprocessor in the DSP is the culprit for the high power
consumption. I never considered the Argo V, K2 or 2020 to be true QRP
rigs. To me, a QRP rig is one that is simple to build, very small,
rugged, very low rx power consumption and cannot run OVER 5 watts. The
TenTec 1340 comes to mind as well as dozens of other small kits and
homebrews. I don't even consider the FT-817 to be a true QRP rig.
I'm not sure what class the Argo V fits. Certainly not QRP. There seems
to be a new class of rigs developing. Maybe we could call them "Base
Station Lites". As for the K2, the 100w amplifier is selling like hot
cakes so it's now a full blown medium power rig.
N4LQ