[TenTec] RFI Problem

Scanandoah, Alan ascanand@harris.com
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:26:26 -0500

The quick, but not necessarily cheap answer is to switch to an LCD monitor.
However, not all LCD monitors are created equal; you may have to take a portable
SW receiver into the store with you to "sniff" the RFI.

Years ago, I lined a monitor with adhesive-backed copper tape, then punched out
the areas that covered the vent holes.  It worked pretty well, but I bled quite
a bit getting there.  An easy way to determine if this would work is to
temporarily wrap your monitor case w/aluminum foil - it'll overheat pretty
quickly.

You could also try adding more ferrite to the video and power cables, but I
haven't found that to be particularly effective.

Al, K2ZN

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill [mailto:fla.pi@verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 10:54 AM
To: Tentec Reflector
Subject: [TenTec] RFI Problem

I have always tried to keep my ham radio separate from my computer because I
play on my radio and work on the computer.

Since putting a computer near my radio I have noticed that my computer monitor
is providing RFI for my ham rig.

I know its the monitor. The pitch and intensity of the RFI changes as I change
images on the monitor.

Monitor is a 19" Compaq, rig is a Ten Tec Delta II.

Any advice?

Bill

multipart/alternative
  text/html