[TenTec] Anyone own Omni6 and TS2000?

Steve Ellington N4LQ@igLou.com
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 03:21:18 -0000

I had two Omni 6 (plain) and now have the TS-2000. To answer your questions:

1. The TS-2000 because
A. Audio is much better for voice modes. Up to 5khz bandwidth can be
selected. With a big speaker or headphones the sound is awesome.
B. No clicks or thumps in QSK
C. Far better stability and frequency accuracy.
D. More versatile filtering and noise reduction features.

2. TS-2000 does not fold up. I made a point of testing it this weekend in
the 160m contest. Be sure to turn off the pre-amp! With 50hz filter
selected, I was able to tune in-between two 20db+ over 9 signals and pick
out weak ones. I was impressed.

3. QSK is the main reason I got the 2000. It is perfectly smooth, fast and
quiet. I also had a FT-1000MP and there is no comparison. This is the first
rig I've had that has no hiss, thumps or clicks in hi-fi headphones.

Also, the internal keyer works great and there is no truncation/chopping of
characters as in most ICOM rigs.
In addition to the selectable DSP filtering in the last IF, you can select
from several DSP audio filters to enhance reception plus configure you own
via the software and load it in your rig. I've got a narrow audio filter
configured for a 600hz center frequency I use on cw.
I'm still looking for QRM and front end overload but so far no luck.
PS: I also had a TS-870 and this one is even better. I was concerned since
the 870 has a higher price which makes no sense. I know the Omni 6 with the
DSP options or 6+ yields improved filtering but it is at the audio level and
not in the AGC loop.

Steve
N4LQ