[TenTec] RFI Problem

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@Blomand.Net
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 08:52:49 -0600

RF Hash;

There's 2 basic types of noise emissions that one must be concerned with.
(a) Conducted -  This is typically generated inside the computer or power
supply and flows out the power cable or any other cable connected to the
box, i.e. monitor, printer, modem, scanner and etc.   This is most often
common mode transmission.
(b) Radiated - Again generated inside but is simply radiated into the air,
often by connected cables, as any RF signal and is thus received by an
antenna.  This is most often parallel mode radiation.

Then there's the issue of both common mode and parallel mode signals which
can be associated with both (a) and (b) above.  The treatment for each is
different.

Many filter type plug strips employ filtering for both common mode and
parallel mode methods.  Common mode is addressed with having all AC lines
(line, neutral and ground) wound through a suitable ferrite donut.  I have
found that some filters DO NOT pass the ground through the ferrite donut.
They also employ bypassing with a value of C between all three lines.  The
same approach can be used in any computer or power supply.  The shortcoming
to the power strip approach is the length of the power cable between the
offending device and the filter.  Hence and ideally, the filter should be
located at or inside the offending box.

CORCOM , just one brand, is a good choice in many applications.

For radiated signals, short length leads, thus reduce excessive cable
lengths and use adequate amount of shielding is typically the proper
approach.  Adding bypass C at the points where cables attach often works
except take care that the bypassing does not restrict the operation of the
connected device.  The biggest challenge is to figure out what type of
emission path(s) exists and then apply the correct solution.

In today's world of high speed computers and data transmission, it will only
get worse.  Part 15 only goes part of the way with regard to manufacturer
certification.  There is very little enforcement or follow up in that a
manufacturer only has to "certify" that the item complies.   To me this says
"we saw it work once, so it must meet the requirement.  Put it in production
and ship it".

The ARRL publication RADIO FREQUENCY INTERFERENCE: HOW TO FIND IT AND FIX IT
by Ed Hare & Robert Schetgen is an excellent reference source for this
subject.

73
Bob, K4TAX