[TenTec] 1208 Transverter / 6m Operation

Mark Erbaugh mark@microenh.com
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 14:04:32 -0500

Further info on my 1208 setup.

I believe I have identified the source of the commercial broadcasts that I
am hearing on my 1208 / Pegasus. Perhaps this will give someone a clue as to
my problem.

I copied WYFR on 50.275 MHz AM. This corresponds to a Pegasus frequency of
14.275. If you take WYFR's frequency of 21.725 and mix that with 36 MHz
(frequency of the 1208), one of the products is 14.275 (36 - 21.725 =
14.275). I verified the mixing scheme with another broadcast signal received
on 50 MHz. My knowledge of mixing gets fuzzy beyond this, but it seems like
I am receiving a legitimate mixing product. Is there supposed to be
filtering in the 1208 to eliminate undesired mixing products?

Granted, I am using a compromise antenna (a Carolina Windom 160). It works
well on 50 MHz, but also on 21 MHz. WYFR is probably the strongest signal on
21 MHz. Several other broadcast signals were undetected on 50 MHz.

Could the deafness on the ream 50 MHz signals be due to the 1208 being
aligned to the wrong mixing products?

73,
Mark, N8ME