[TenTec] Pegasus/RX-340/ N4PY System

Jim Reid jimr.reid@verizon.net
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 14:26:43 -1000

Hi gang,

Well,  after a couple of frustrating days,  I seem to have
all up and operating as per intented!  Thanks to Carl, N4PY,
who built the necessary interface boxes as well as doing
the software -- all ready to go for me on disks.
Even with my poor vision ( and enough light, hi),  I was able
to follow Carl's several pages of carefully prepared
instructions getting all the needed interconnections.  And,
thanks again to WA3FIY who suggested a simple work
around to mate the 962 to the Peg minus the Ten Tec
308 adapter.  After a couple of trips to the Kauai Radio Shack
(which is well stocked for the size market it can serve),
I had all the bits needed.  The external speaker for the
Pegasus works very well for CW sidetone and the dual
rcv function when doing split/dual DX chasing.  Found a
nice RCA speaker at RS which looks very nice sitting
beside the Peg unit.

A couple of emails to Carl after I had all connected,  but
still a couple of glitches,  solved even those -- and the
system is now fb!

I actully had one QSO last night on 40 meters,  so stuff
works!  The timing if fine,  no problem using the Ameritron
QSK-5 switch (which is a linear amp relay saver!).  And
the linear gets along fine with the equipment.

Now, I have an enourmous amount of reading to perform!
Carl has admonished me that I MUST read the various
instruction .doc files as well as the TT Pegasus manual;
otherwise,  I would never find all the neat goodies included
in this wonderful system.  I have had a bunch of fun fooling
around with the various "virtual" buttons,  sliders, and
whatnots.

So after a time,  I will post my "review" of this great software
defined 21st Century amateur radio station!

73,  Jim  KH7M