[TenTec] Omni V.9 Impression

TIM LOGAN CYR999@extremezone.com
Sat, 05 Jan 2002 16:49:17 -0800

Hi folks -

I would like to share with you my impressions of N4PY's V.9 upgrade to
the OMNI V.  I just   completed it today (excluding the computer
interface mod which I am not ready for yet). In a nutshell, I am elated.
I rearranged the front panel buttons, eliminating 10b-c and adding
enter, shift, and clear keys. I also used dry transfers from my local
model train shop to number the keys. My OMNI now has a cw spot tone
(yes!!!!!), bandstacking memories, direct frequency entry, scanning, and
even the ability to adjust freq for crystal aging. How much? Carl - N4PY
- charges $5 for handling and programs the $7 chip you send him. That's
it!!!!!  After clearing up a little confusion over resetting, I find
these new features operate beautifully - really it's the cheapest most
unbelievable single mod I've seen - and it's basically free!! My hat is
definitely off to N4PY for sharing his software so generously. In my
opinion, if you have an OMNI V you should definitely do this mod. It is
EASY! Also, I use a clear speech unit with my OMNI and it's algorithm
works so well - well, there's just not a lot of reason to do anything
more to this rig - it's simply great.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth. Have a great day!

73, Tim Logan KB7OEX