[TenTec] OT FT 243 xtals needed

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer geraldj@isunet.net
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:31:17 -0600

JAN is still in business but probably has forgotten how to make FT-243.
There was a company at Marshfield MO specializing in FT-243 but the
proprietor died, I'm not sure the company continues.

Its not too hard to grind the crystals, I used to do that for many
applications. The easiest thing to use today is a sheet of 400 grit
wet/dry silicon carbide paper. Use it wet. Run the crystal in figure
eights, with finger pressure on opposite corners, rotating the crystal
every few figure eights. The only rub with using the silicon carbide
paper (supported on a flat piece of plate glass) is that it will take
skin the same time it cuts quartz. Its less predictable but I've often
used the abrasive out of kitchen cleanser after washing the soap away.
Then it goes directly on the glass and wears down rapidly but doesn't
cut the fingers.

I've also etched crystals with a fluoride compound. Eats sink porcelain
faster than quartz.

I think there may be a bushel or two at Gateway Electronics in St.
Louis.

73, Jerry, K0CQ

--
Entire content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson. Reproduction by
permission only.