[TenTec] Pegasus 1.19 DSP Firmware on RFSquared

Duane Grotophorst n9dg@yahoo.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:22:50 -0800 (PST)

Along with the new firmware for the Jupiter Ten Tec
has also posted a new DSP firmware for the Pegasus at:

http://www.tentec.com/rfsquared/pegasus/PegasusMain.htm

I've downloaded it and put it through some basic
tests. The strength of the low level spurs (tones)
have been dramatically reduced. In fact I really can't
find the one that was in the center of the filter
passband anymore.

The secondary tone that tracks the VFO is now down by
another ~6 dB than it was in version 1.18. BTW version
1.18 was ~6 dB better than 1.17. It is now low enough
that you really do have to specifically look for it if
you're using one of the common PSK31 programs. With an
actual antenna connected and receiving natural
background band noise it is effectively gone. I can
still see it readily with Argo though, but then Argo
was designed to specifically find extremely weak
signals.

Kudos to the Tec Tec software engineers for making
this dramatic improvement to that pesky low level tone
problem.

Folks, this is but just one example of what software
defined radios are all about. And boy I'm sure glad
that the DSP firmware code wasn't burned permanently
into a PROM.

73
Duane
N9DG