[TenTec] Re: OMNI VI+ DISCONTINUED - NEW "ORION" LATE

John, ke5c ke5c@hot.rr.com
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 01:57:05 -0600

> How would the group feel about an almost fully digital radio built
around a
> DSP "core" operating at 30 to 50 KHz, with up and down converters and
> amplifiers, etc. before (for receiving) and after (for transmitting)?
All
> signal generation, modulation, filtering, demodulation, etc. done
> digitally? No crystal filters at all, except for roofing purposes?
>
> Remember where Doug Smith worked before coming to TenTec . . .?

This could work if he can get his receiver to perform like the flagship
rigs of the competition, including bettering the VI+.  See 505DSP in:
http://www.elecraft.com/K2_perf.htm, especially Ip2 and BDR.  I've not
used a 505DSP in a contest, but with those numbers, I doubt I would
happily for long.

More importantly, the VI+ needs the low-tech improvements I mentioned
earlier, especially dual-receive, preferably with a subreceiver, getting
rid of the birdies, and VBT (or multiple digital filters with kind skirts
if you go high-tech) rather than PBT.  Frankly, I hope they keep VHF out
of it, just more compromises to make and noises to introduce.

I want a radio to use on the air, not play with on my computer; yes, with
an interface to my contesting and logging programs and maybe a flash
memory to update firmware.  I don't even care if they put digital mode
software into the Orion itself and pass the data out the RS-432 or
firewire port, but I sure wish ops who use it would listen to see if the
frequency is clear before they transmit.

For some fun, let's guess price - 3 KBux?

73, de ke5c, op john