[TenTec] Re: RF spike, dual VFO, variable bw comments

John, ke5c ke5c@hot.rr.com
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:31:44 -0600

> Just a couple comments/comments for John, KE5C:
>
> >Anyway, here's my wish list (not in any order of preference):
>
> >1)  No RF spike on keydown to trip out those Alpha amps on CW.
>
> What TenTec rig have you had this problem with?  I am running the
> Omni-VI+ with the Alpha 99 and have never experienced this.

Thanks Chuck.  Here's my original description.  Four or five responded
saying they had the same problem.  About an equal number responded like
you saying no problem.

http://lists.contesting.com/_tentec/2001-July/020812.html

Totally by happenstance, I just came across this comment on an eBay
auction (#1323525644) for an old Hercules I (444): "*ACCORDING TO TENTEC,
THIS AMP IS NOT USABLE WITH THE NEW SOLID STATE RADIOS, DUE TO A
LEADING-EDGE SPIKE ON THE RF SIGNAL. THAT SPIKE WILL, ACCORDING TO TT, CAN
IMMEDIATELY BLOW THE FINAL TRANSISTORS IN THE AMP, RENDERING IT USELESS
AND VERY EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR. HOWEVER THERE'S A WHOLE LIST OF OLDER SOLID
STATE AND TUBE RADIOS IT WILL FUNCTION WITH PERFECTLY. I'M NOT TRYING TO
SCARE ANYONE OFF BUT I'M SIMPLY BEING FORTHRIGHT WITH ALL THE DETAILS AS I
UNDERSTAND THEM SO NO ONE ENDS UP BLOWING THE AMP UP AND BLAMING IT ON
ME."  This comment would be at least consistent with my experiences since
overdrive will trip out an Alpha, and quickly!

73, de ke5c, op john