[TenTec] Split operation, etc.

George, W5YR w5yr@att.net
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:06:17 -0600

Bill, I think that you have point up very well that the misnomer
"software-defined" is really not the same as "software-controlled."

Too many manufacturers and a lot of innocent hams are confusing the two
terms with the end result that any radio which involves software *control*
is being touted or viewed as software*defined* - the two are completely
different in architecture and operation. A basic limitation on the software
configurability of any radio lies in the analog circuitry which seldom can
be changed much if at all by software command.
The radio architecture is what it is and at least thus far, the majority of
our radios, even the DSP variety, provide only limited configurability by
software.

The notion that a software radio is forever with only occasional software
upgrades is a pleasant one but one whose time has not yet arrived - unless
the ORION is a *real* surprise!

72/73/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina #91900556  IC-765 #02437

All outgoing email virus-checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2002