[TenTec] Orion -- Thinking Inside the Box

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@Blomand.Net
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:13:20 -0600

For what it's worth, I would like to see a rig that is mildly computer
controlled.  I don't want a computer than has a rig attached.

That translates to a "performance" radio not a "bells & whistles" radio.
Yes, operating system upgrade would be nice but that won't address the
technological changes that will take place in hardware over the next 5 or so
years.  One can't upgrade silicon via software code.  At least not yet.

As to a few comments, and these aren't directly slanted to you Bruce,   I
don't want a transmatch inside the box.  It won't be of any use with a power
amplifier.  Well, err unless the "box" will run full legal power.  Besides,
these "inside" transmatches typically are of limited Z matching ability.

Perhaps a box with "contesting operation" in mind is in order.  The
requirements of a contester are totally and seriously different than those
of a casual "rag chewing" operator and they are certainly different
requirements of those that use the HF rig as a foundation for other
operations such as weak signal EME, Tropo and MS modes.  Then of course
there is the digital operator.  Again, the requirements are quite different.
And again, the requirements of the "died in the wool" CW operator.

At this point, looks like some 5 or 6 clearly different rigs or "boxes" are
needed.  One won't do it all.
 Rig A---- Contesting rig
 Rig B---- Rag chewing rig
 Rig C---- Digital mode rig
 Rig D---- CW enhanced rig
 Rig E---- Weak signal rig
 Rig F ---- Software upgradeable rig for the operator that can't figure out
what they want to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not poking fun or being sarcastic toward anyone's
desire or pleasure of ham radio.  But in reality we must be careful what we
ask for.  And what we ask for must fit the majority of the ham radio market,
not a select few.  One radio won't do it all.

73
Bob K4TAX

P.S.  - As they say in the TV news, "obtained from reliable but un-named
sources, I hear that there is more than one radio on the drawing board".