[TenTec] Orion -- Thinking Inside the Box

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@Blomand.Net
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 22:41:53 -0600

Duane:

So be it. I see your points, however I don't totally agree.  Anything that
is put into a radio, mechanically or electrically, adds to the overall cost.
There's certain features that can be eliminated in some models, while added
things are required for others.  For example, a mobile radio needs to be
structurally rugged.  More so than one used on the desk.  That translates
into dollars.  Typically multiplied X5 to get to the retail price.  At the
same time it is not logical to make a radio for every need.  To many will
"dilute" the market.  There has to be a reasonable balance.  I'm sure you,
like me, are seeing the "ouch" to the suggested $3300 price here on the
list.  That's what this forum is for.

To take things to an extreme, a contesting rig, has logging, multiple
receivers, multiple scans, lots of voice and CW memories and etc.  I see
that one boils down to turning the radio on, setting a few parameters, going
off to the movies and when I return, I've worked 3 or 3 thousand contacts.
Of course I've sent them all a "599" report.  Nah, don't think so!  But I
think that's what some contesters would like.  There there's the QRP
operator and another list of wants and needs.  Quite the contrast.

And Duane, finally and somewhat slightly off the subject but related, I've
spent too many years in the professional audio business.  Factually, the
best of today's digital audio does not and will not sound as good as "good
analog" audio.  Now we're talking about slow speed processing compared to
what's required for IF/RF processing.  To wit, the general public would be
surprised to learn that many of the digital records and recordings today,
while recorded digitally were actually passed through an analog channel to
change the sound to the desired "warmth" then re-recorded digitally so it
can be accurately said that the product is digitally recorded.  I've worked
with DSP starting some 10 years ago.  It's a wonderful tool but it is not a
total answer, even with thousands of lines of code.

I will agree that software defined systems are much less expensive to
produce, (the expensive part is writing the required code) and does allow
for more flexibility after the product is released and sold.

Just one fellows opinion.  And you know about a fellow with an
opinion..........

73
Bob K4TAX