[TenTec] Orion tech specs

Steve Ellington n4lq@iglou.com
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 18:41:10 -0500

True and don't forget the TS-870 which uses DSP for both receive/transmit
filtering, tx audio equalization and AGC.  Looking at the diagrams, I can't
see where TenTec did anything new with the Pegasus except for firmware
update capability and that was just a matter of choice on their part. The
Yaesu FT-MKV is still using DSP as it was in the FT-MP, basically an audio
filter outside the agc loop. The only difference is that the MKV has the DSP
ganged with the xtal filter selected. In my opinion, if the recieve DSP
isn't in the agc loop, it's nothing but a glorified audio filter.

Steve Ellington
N4LQ

> Excellent summary, Tom, but I do have to take exception to one statement:
>
> "Only Kachina,
> > Pegasus & Jupiter and the PRO series are capable of this. All other DSP
is
> > just simple filtering. Ten Tec pioneered this concept and is going to
take
> > it to the next level with the Orion."
>
> Actually, the Kachina 505DSP was on the market quite some time before the
> Pegasus, etc. If you are referring to military and/or commercial
> development, probably Collins or Rhode & Schwarz or others were first to
> develop almost fully DSP radios.
>
> I do believe that the Yaesu MK V is using its DSP for more than filtering
> but not sure.
>
> But you are certainly correct in that the DSP "core" radios are the
leading
> architecture now and can only improve in the future as speeds increase and
> costs decrease.
>
> 72/73/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
> Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
> Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
> QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771
> Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina #91900556  IC-765 #02437
>
> All outgoing email virus-checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2002
>

> "Thomas C. Jednacz" wrote:
> >
> > Of the hundreds of postings I have seen, none mention the full
significance
> > of DSP. DSP is a LOT more than filters. CW, SSB, AM etc are all
generated by
> > software in the DSP chip. This is really significant for SSB because
there
> > is no filter used to strip off the opposite side band. Hence the band
width
> > is really 0 to 3 KC on transmit and receive with the other sideband down
50
> > or 60 dB depending on whether the software is using 16 or 32 bit chips.
You