[TenTec] Adding RIT to my 301 box?

Dale L Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:06:27 -0600

> I'm a big fan and user of the 301 remote encoder, which I use all the
> time -- and exclusively during the 160 contest this past weekend.  My
> multi-op partner N3OC had never used a TT before and not only liked the
> radio, but really enjoyed using the 301.
>
> What was problematic was that the RIT is on the radio -- really
> inconvenient!
>
> So, here's my question:  is there a way to add the RIT to the 301 box?
> Has anybody done it?

I haven't done it, Eric.  I use RIT so infrequently during a contest that
it's more a bother than a tool.

But, what you might do is verify from Ten-Tec or someone here that the
RIT/XIT control is, indeed, a rotary encoder just like the main tuning
control.  If that is the case, it might be easy to parallel the encoder
through the DB25 jack (there are unused pins--but that may be the hardest
part--soldering to that connector), then from the DB25 plug to the
301--maybe a cable in parallel with the main tuning cable to a switch to
switch the 301 encoder from the main tuning line to the RIT line.

That's a scenario that might be used if the RIT control is identical to the
main tuning control.

73,
dale, kg5u