[TenTec] Corsair PBT?

Greg Hodsdon Greg Hodsdon" <k7kj@arrl.net
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 23:11:43 -0800

Alan:

> My Corsair has the 8 pole (9 mhz) 2.4 crystal  I.F. filter (Model 220)
plus
> the 1.8,500, 250 TT filters. I was experiencing some muffling of teh
signal
> as I went to the narrower filters. I removed them all and cleaned up the
> contacts for the plug in pins anad it made a dramatic difference.

Good to hear that fixed the problem.

> QUESTION 1:The question however concers the use of the pass band tuning.
In
> the 500 and 250 position for CW the range on the PBT control is very
limited
> ;11 oclock to 1 oclock positions on the control. Is this normal?

This is not only normal; it is ideal.  The PBT filters are centered on the
IF filter.

> QUESTION 2:Also is there an optimal method for use of the notch in
> conjunction with PBT or is it just trial and error or just what sounds
good?

I tend to use the notch as the last 'weapon' in the arsenal.  I first
carefully tune
for the desired signal, switch to a narrower filter as needed and adjust
PBT. Only
after that will the notch be most effective on an interfering tone or
signal.

73 de Greg, K7KJ
Portland, OR
Corsair, Omni VI Plus, Pegasus/RX-340