[TenTec] 516/Orion/"software defined"/etc.

duffyb01@fuse.net duffyb01@fuse.net
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:37:39 EST

Kevin,

Actually I think their strategy is very smart. When it is all said and done, they will have a high end rig ($3,300) for the purest and those seeking perfection in an HF rig. This is followed by the Jupiter, a excellent performing rig, priced for the mass ham market.  Then Ten Tec will have the 516 (what clever name will be attached to this?). The 516 fills two needs, first a low end priced rig at $695 and meets the needs of the QRP community who have supported Ten Tec very well over the year.  Then, two niche radios.  The 6n2 (needs an outer space name - Venus?)and the Pegasus.  Both are popular priced. No real duplication (except maybe the Pegasus and the Jupiter; if anything goes I suspect the Pegasus because the Jupiter can do the same and more) and maybe the number of rigs is growing because their market share is growing and they see market opportunities that are not being served by the rice manufacturers.

JMHO - Duffy - WB8NUT