[TenTec] 516/Orion/"software defined"/etc.

Duane Grotophorst n9dg@yahoo.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:45:21 -0800 (PST)

--- Paul Christensen <paulc@mediaone.net> wrote:

“They have an excellent handle on DSP filtering from
their learned experiences with the RX-331, RX-340,
RX-320, Pegasus and Jupiter...so no lengthy time
design here. I suspect what we'll see will be borrowed
building blocks from other TT designs.”

Right on the mark here, and I would add that if the
Orion is being built around a later generation, higher
performance Analog Devices DSP they could possibly
carry much of the low level DSP code forward if they
wanted to. I’m sure it would require some coding work
but it would less than starting over, unless of course
they have a compelling reason to start from scratch.
Analog Devices is pretty good about making that
possible across their DSP generations.

“I can envision secondary having performance
commensurate with the Jupiter/Pegasus.”

My guess would be the RX-350, perhaps even borrowing
some of the board level hardware, but then the RX-350
is really very similar to the Pegasus/Jupiter anyhow.

“The real proof will lie in the integration of these
blocks with the control circuitry to ensure that QSK
will be clean thump-free and frequency management will
be at least what we have with the Japanese
transceivers. I KNOW it can be done. In effect, it is
all done now with the N4PY software controlling the
RX-340/Pegasus. Carl has developed countless useful
operating features that the JA companies haven't
figured out yet.”

Shhhh, don’t give away Ten Tec’s engineering edge to
the competition. The JA companies are still just
building traditional radios with DSP stuffed in them
vs. building DSP based RF/AF signal processing boxes
that are configured to be a radio. It’s really too bad
that such a large part of the Ham radio population
hasn’t figured this out either.

Duane
N9DG