[TenTec] Anyone Using W2IHY 8 Band Equalizer w/TT ?

Ben Kadish K8DIT benk8dit@serv.net
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:37:45 -0800

Here's why I like the W2IHY EQ/ Noise Gate. While I use a 2 band EQ/NG it
enables me to use a non/ham generic computer type headset mic. I use either
a foot switch or a modified Polaroid shutter release for push to talk. This
makes typing easier when on ssb, or moving about the shack w/o losing track
of the mic. Not that the mic gets lost, but when its right on my head,
there's nothing to reach for. Or if I do want to walk away from the radio
and the headset is off, I just hit the foot switch and I can respond quickly
by talking in the direction of the headset. You'll notice that the coiled
chords on TT mics are only so long. If you need longer chords for whatever
reason, and if you dont like coiled chords, or if a mic cost of $7 appeals
to you. I like the headsets that come with one earphone on them so that if
you dont use the earphone, you can place it so it doesnt lay over the ear.
When the Amplifier is on, the noise gate prevents fan noises and other
background noise from being amplified along with my voice.
The EQ puts back what the generic electret element may be missing in terms
of audio qualities that bring out the best in my voice. No need for an 8
band EQ really, unless you really like to play.
On the minus side, you have to wire up all the connectors. The learning
curve is a little broad on initial settings for beginners in
this kind of stuff. Leaving it alone after you found your settings is not
easy. This is made easier by the maker of this product as he readily
accomodates all questions in a timely manner. So if you like tweaking, this
is the gizmo to get. If you adore tweaking and cant get enough, the 8bander
is the one.