[TenTec] Omni VI Mail dial squeaking

K5XS@aol.com K5XS@aol.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:38:01 EST

Dave,
  I suppose it could be something in the encoder, but I can't tell from your description.  But if it's not...
  Hold the dial skirt steady and turn the knob slightly.  That will reduce (or increase--depending on direction; I'm at work and can't recall which direction does which) the friction from the pads on the chassis.
  Sometimes the felt pads that are used for drag wear out.  You can remove the main tuning knob (slide off the rubber ring and unscrew the set screws, then slide it off the encoder shaft).  You can see if the pads are worn out and attach fresh felt to the springs.
  Now, if it's the encoder that's squeaking, I am aware of nothing you can do to fix that save replacing it with a new encoder.
  73 and good luck,
Bernie Skoch
K5XS