[TenTec] Orion Specs?

Jay Bromley w5jay@alltel.net
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 20:44:08 -0500

Gang,

After working all night, my lovely wife Kathy drove me to Tennessee to pick
up an RX340 that I will be using in combination with the Jupiter.  While we
were there at the Ten Tec facility, Stan offered to give us a tour of the
plant.  What made this tour different than most was the plant was shut down
due to the fourth of July holiday.  Towards the end of the factory tour, I
noticed we were coming up on the Orions, I assume being readied for their
new homes.  The first thing my wife Kathy mentioned, "I like this one, it is
pretty."  She especially liked the nickel outskirts around the knobs.
Although Kathy is an extra class ham, her main passion is with the people
involved in the hobby, not with the equipment.  I thought this was a unique
perspective from her.

While she was talking with Stan I was looking at the innards of the Orion.
I was very impressed at how clean the lay out is.  The more I looked at it
the more impressed I was at the engineering that has gone into it.  It looks
like they have really built a high performance radio, without the complexity
or wiring harnesses that I have seen in some of the Japanese radios.  The
wiring is extremely clean and looks to be a joy to work on if there is ever
a need.

In fact after looking inside the Orion, I came away convinced that waiting
for a later production run in order to get rid of all the bugs would not be
an issue with this rig.  I was not interested in getting an Orion until I
saw the inside of one.  Although it may  be awhile, I will have an Orion
someday in the ham shack.

There are four shielded compartments on top and four on the bottom.  The
only thing vertical is the front panel and the final compartment.  The
monochrome display I did not get to see fired up, however, it is not an
issue with me if the rig performs any thing like it should.  In fact, they
could have left the display off and saved me a few bucks but I still think
it is a pretty radio, just like my wife Kathy thinks.  There are slots for 9
MHz roofing filters for those of us that think we need them :-).

As many of you know, I have been messing with rice boxes for years along
with building a ton of QRP rigs.  The more I mess with these Ten Tecs and
the people behind them, the less I want to do with anything from the far
east.

Bottom line, I don't think anyone could go wrong buying this rig.  Besides,
it is wife approved :-)

I want to thank Stan for going out of his way for making Kathy and I feel
like family and for the tour of the Ten Tec factory.  Thank you Stan and Ten
Tec!

73 de jay/w5jay..