[TenTec] Users Net

William F. Mansey; WA2PVK res0wsci@verizon.net
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:11:17 -0400

I have had reasonably good results getting in to the net, and with other HF
activities, using nothing more that a Jupiter, MFJ-941E Versa-Tuner, and
about 100 feet of wire rigged up in "Sloper" configuration, or a multi-band
inverted V.  (the inverted V is oriented N/S and the sloper is oriented E/W)
These antennas should work well with the Orion and offer great diversity.
(I also have a vertical that I could throw into the mix for good measure!)
It would be nice to have a bunch of aluminum tubing above my shack but have
space considerations that prevent this from "happening".  The only place I
could put up a tower is close to the property line.  All other areas have
trees or power lines in the way.  Doing as much, or more, with less is
challenging, enjoyable, and rewarding.  I am NOT interested in contesting so
this antenna arrangement is quite sufficient.  I have worked stations from
Siberia to Antarctica and many areas between using just 100 watts or less.
Moving the net frequency sounds like a good idea BUT - - - how long would it
be before a similar situation arises?  The net has been on 14.266 for a
while and I have had no problem hearing or being heard by Will.  The only
condition that has made checking in difficult has nothing to do with
conditions on 20 - it was conditions that kept me at work late! :-(
73 to all  Bill  WA2PVK

---