[TenTec] FSK with Paragon

Talbot, George A. talbot@kmr.ll.mit.edu
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:05:52 +1200

Dick,

As I recall (Been a while since I actually got the Internal FSK going on the
Paragon) I have the following information on interfacing the Paragon for
Direct FSK.

The RTTY Key input is functionally equivalent to the CW Key, Puts the rig in
transmit and with a carrier output. This has to be grounded and then you can
start sending TTL level data to the FSK input. You will need a TTL or open
collector output from your KAM. See the KAM manual and look for something
like "Direct FSK" out or the like.

On the Paragon the FSK input requires a pull-up resistor to 5 volts. When
the input is then grounded it shifts the transmit carrier by 170 Hz. You can
adjust the amount of the shift if it is off by the trimmers caps on the RTTY
crystal in the Paragon. See the manual for the exact location of this
crystal. It is located on the left side of the rig as facing from the front.

That about does it. I use my Paragon with this mode regularly with no
difficulties.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me.

Regards,

George V73GT