[TenTec] astron blows regulators

Stuart Rohre rohre@arlut.utexas.edu
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:13:01 -0500

Grounding negative post at the power supply to chassis:
It depends, Astron floats the supply to allow one to find the best grounding
point, which usually is at the rig to chassis, NOT at the power supply over
some voltage drop of the connecting leads.  In RFI work, we strive to get
the ground to chassis as close to the RF ground of the rig as we can.

Another thing to check on the board is are the screws for the large
electrolytics tightly connected to the circuit board?  Loose screws on the
main filter caps can cause all sorts of problems.  For one thing, the
connection may make when the board is cold,but as the supply heats up, you
may get a high resistance connection to the filter, as the board warps with
heat.
73, Stuart K5KVH