[TenTec] Blacklist (Not)

N1EU n1eu@yahoo.com
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 05:40:11 -0700 (PDT)

KD5NWA wrote:
"I have noticed that several members of this list are
blacklisted with SPAMCOP, or VISI for sending Spam
from their mail address, I must assume that they are
unawares that their ISP is allowing that. I'll start
saving the names, and let the group know when I have a
large number of address."

As has been noted previously, the Klez virus aliases
the originator's email address, so such blacklisting
is fruitless - you end up blacklisting the innocent
party and nothing is done to rid the virus infection.
In other words, W1XV did NOT originate the recent
"Look,my beautiful girlfriend" email to the list - his
address was stolen from the inbox of an infected
computer somewhere.  So blacklisting W1XV is an
improper response.

Once again, if you receive email directly from this
and other lists, and especially if you use Microsoft
Outlook or Outlook Express to read such email, you
really MUST have completely up-to-date antivirus
software installed and protecting your email.  The
safer alternative is to use Web-based email boxes or
to read the messages at the contesting.com archive.

73,
Barry  N1EU