[TenTec] Price check on Argosy

Mike Hyder -N4NT- N4NT@charter.net
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:53:36 -0400

Hi, Lew--

Almost everything for the Argosy was an option so its value depends greatly
on what's inside.  Also depends on the condition (mainly physical).  Know
that the PA transistors are nigh onto impossible to find.  The Argosy II
(525D) is digital.  I'd estimate a working analog model's worth at between
$125 and $250 or a bit more, if in fairly good condition.  The digital model
is probably worth about $75 more.  Here are the options to look for:
1. Audio CW filter board
2. Amplifier switching board
3. Noise Blanker board
4. Upgraded SSB crystal filter (stock was a 4-pole, needs to be replaced
with a model 220, even for CW)
5. Crystal CW filter (I have one and never use it, as the audio CW filter is
fine)
225 Power Supply
6. Mobile Mounting Bracket

You can probably find the Audio CW filter as a kit.  You can get the crystal
filters from Ten-Tec, they also show up on the reflector.  (The rig really
needs the 220 crystal filter, but I'd wait to get the 500 Hz filter until I
saw if I'd need it.)  The IF frequency is 9 MHz.  The noise blanker,
amplifier switching board, power supply and mobile mount are harder to find.

The rig has no RF gain control and some folks gripe about strong signals
causing a 'pop' in their speaker, but it has never bothered me.

The rig covers 80-40-30-20-15-10 meters, has very good QSK and has a switch
on the rear panel that turns it into a QRP rig limited to 5 watts output.
The digital model has a front panel switch that turns off the digital
display to conserve battery life -- the switch has a spare set of contacts
which can be used to turn off the meter lamp, too, if you really want to
conserve.

73, Mike