[TenTec] N1MM Logger

bharen@bellsouth.net bharen@bellsouth.net
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:13:28 -0400

All,

Time to wax prophetically...

A few weeks ago I posted a message to this group asking for recommendations for a good logging program to use with the Jupiter.  I got lots of responses - thanks to all of you who took the time to write!

One program in particular that I'm drawn to is N1MM Logger.  Although it is 'freeware', it has lots of great features, a clean interface, is written 32 bit code, is stable and is a collaberative effort much in the spirit of Linux.  It is contesting oriented, but can be used for general logging (does not track awards like WAS, etc.).  It's great drawback, however, is the lack of an interface for TT radios.  The developer of NIMM, Tom (N1MM himself!) apparently focuses on bug removal and making sure the software is ready to support various contests and their ever changing scoring/operating requirements.  Rightfully so - he's supporting his major 'customer base'.  Several others have inquired about a Jupiter/Pegasus interface, and Tom has gently informed them that it's not a priority.  He did hint that if a competent VB programmer was willing to tackle the project he'd provide the source code.

With the release of Jupiter firmware 1.18 and N4PY's development of a 'Jupiter Logging Mode' for his great software I think the time is ripe for development of a Jupiter/Pegasus interface for N1MM Logger.

However, I'm not a programmer, just a user.  There wouldn't happen to be a bored, talented VB programmer lurking on this user's group who would be willing to tackle this interface?  You'd be helping to marry a great radio to some great software, and earn the undying gratitude of millions (OK, just hundreds) of Jupiter and Pegasus owners.

73!
Brian
W8BYH