[TenTec] Corsair PTO stability

Don Rasmussen wb8yqj@yahoo.com
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:16:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Guys,

I performed a PTO rebuild on my Corsair II precisely
according to the instructions, which call for a
liberal amount of grease. Having done this, and using
the TenTec supplied grease, the top spring seems to
get bunched up in the grease when the PTO has it
cranked almost fully compressed, this is the bottom
25khz of the band.

The result is an instability for a few seconds after I
have tuned in a station and then it will stabilize.
Sometimes, however, I still get some "hunting" of the
PTO frequency, small yet noticable random shifts of
frequency. I'm looking for input on whether this is
just a fact of life with the Corsair (and II) PTO, or
if any of the list members have any hints, tips, or
secrets on maximizing the stability of the PTO, which
is certainly sensitive to the grease.

Thanks,
Don Rasmussen WB8YQJ
Carlsbad, Ca.