[TenTec] Bulb replacement in Model 238 Tuner

gr1ns@aol.com gr1ns@aol.com
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 21:50:36 EDT

Hi Gang,

I have a burned out bulb on the meter in my tuner.  The manual on page 2-8
under "PILOT LAMP REPLACEMENT" calls for the 14 Volt, bayonet type, No. 1813
or 1892.  It states further that access to these bulbs is obtained by
removing the top cover of the unit.  My question is which bulb is used from
the Ten-Tec factory for the meter?  It gives one the impression that either
of these bulb types can be used, but I want it to match the light in the
meter of the Omni, VI Plus, so thus the reason to ask, which comes original
from the factory?  Can you get these at Radio Shack, or some other easy to
find outlet?

My second question is to remove the top appears to involve a total of 8
screws on the sides of the unit.  If I remove these 4 screws per side, does
the entire cover come off?  Does it require loosening or removing any of the
front panel screws?

Finally, I run the light in the Omni at a reduced brightness to help
facilitate its life, has anyone used a dropping resistor to drop the voltage
to the meter light, making it effectively last longer?  If so, what kind of
value would be used to cut it roughly by 25% in brightness and what size i.e.
1/4 watt, 1/2 watt, etc.?

Thanks,

Michael Kelly, K5AWI